Matt Kean MP has been one of my longest running clients. I built his first website in Joomla 1.5 and now that this version of Joomla is well into legacy status, it was time to update and upgrade his website.
Now that I primarily build my websites in Drupal, I decided that, seeing as we were going to rebuild his website, I'd move him to this more flexible and more configurable CMS.
I began as I always do, I created a UX and a website design that was mobile-first. I wanted to ensure his constituents could experience all of the content regardless of display-size.
I also wanted to take advantage of all the existing content on his first website, so I migrated all of this media release and speech content from his old website to the new one. This was a tricky task, as Joomla and Drupal have vastly different structures to their internal MySQL databases.
Finally, I wanted to make the wonderful photography supplied by Matt's staff the focal point of not only the home page, but any page that had accompanying photography.
The result is a Drupal 7 ZURB Foundation responsive website.
- Social sharing of articles
- Collects local community survey responses
- Allows constituents to contact Matt
- Allows constituents to request congratulatory messages for 100th Birthdays, 50th Anniversaries and the like
- A super easy administration that allows his staff to easily add media releases, speeches and embedded media like YouTube videos and Soundcloud audio bits
- A bulk uploading system for adding photography to the photo gallery in large, managable chunks
- Automated SEO techniques, with the ability to further fine-tune SEO for any page on the website
It's a great feeling to continue to provide quality web solutions for the Member for Hornsby for such a long time. I look forward to continuing to assist Matt with informing and communicating with his local constituents.
Check out MattKean.com.au
I'm a web design, graphic designer, video and motion graphics editor, social media strategist and terrible golfer.